ZANG TOI is a renowned Fashion Designer who has built a tradition of elegance for over 30 years. Coming from humble beginnings, Zang was born and raised in a small village, Kuala Krai in Kelantan, Malaysia. He was the youngest of seven children of a local grocer. Zang landed in New York City at the age of 20 where he studied at the distinguished Parsons School of Design. In August 1989, he opened his atelier and soon after, U.S Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour featured Zang in March 1990 issue and was one of the first Asian designers championed by the renowned editor. In 1990, Zang was awarded the Mouton Cadet Young Designer of the Year which recognizes the top, young, U.S. designer of the year. In a Newsday article published in 1991, Frank De Caro enthusiastically noted of the Malaysian-born designer and his success, “If anyone is THE NEXT BIG THING, it’s him.” (Newsday, New York, 29 April 1991).
Since that time, Zang’s work has been featured in major publications such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, Time, Newsweek, The New York Times, Financial Times, etc. Not only has he dressed Hollywood celebrities such as Sharon Stone, Elizabeth Taylor, Farrah Fawcett, Kristie Alley, Joan Collin, Patti LaBelle, Mia Farrow, Eartha Kitt, Ivana Trump , Gong Li, Carol Alt, Kelly Bensimon, Eva Longoria, Fergie (Black Eyed Peas) and Heather Graham, but has also created luxurious wardrobe for philanthropists and royalty including Melinda Gates and Saudi Princess Haifa Bandar Al Saud.
Along with his passion for glamorous fashion, Zang has been an avid supporter of the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LIVESTRONG) and has raised over USD $700,000 to help in the effort in finding a cure for cancer. His was recognized by the foundation in 2008/2009 when he was presented with the Lance Armstrong Foundation Top Fundraiser Award.
Zang’s continued success was recognized by Vivid Magazine where he was named as one of the Top 8 most influential Chinese Americans (June-July 2011 issue).
Today, the world continues to recognize Zang’s passion for timeless beauty as he builds on a strong tradition of elegance.
AWARDS and ACHIEVEMENTS
- MOUTON-CADET YOUNG DESIGNER AWARD (1990)
- LIMELIGHT ELSA SCHIAPARELLI CREATIVE DESIGN AWARD (1992)
- AWARD FROM THE OFFICE OF THE COUNCIL PRESIDENT, CITY OF NEW YORK, IN RECOGNITION OF OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN THE ARTS (1993)
- MONSIEUR STYLE AWARDS-BEST WOMENS WEAR DESIGNER (1997)
- AWARDED KNIGHTHOOD BY THE SULTAN OF KELANTAN AT THE INVESTITURE CEREMONY AT THE ROYAL PALACE IN MALAYSIA (1997)
- AWARD FROM INTERNATIONAL CENTER OF NEW YORK, IN RECOGNITION OF SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION TO LIFE IN THE UNITED STATES (2002)
- FASHION GROUP STAR GAZER AWARD FOR DESIGNER APPAREL (2003)
- IN APPRECIATION OF HIS CREATIVE TALENT & SUPPORT TOWARDS HEMANGIOMA TREATMENT FOUNDATION (2005)
- LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE, AUSTIN CHAMPION AWARD TEAM TOI (2007 and 2008)
- LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE, AUSTIN CHAMPION AWARD, ZANG TOI (2007 and 2008)
- THE RIDE FOR THE ROSES, INDIVIDUAL CHAMPION AWARD, ZANG TOI (2007 and 2008)
- EUROPEAN SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS, VISION AND REALITY AWARD OF EXCELLENCE IN FASHION (2009)
- VISIONARY OF HOPE AWARD, IN RECOGNITION OF OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT, EXEMPLARY SERVICE & COMMITMENT TO THE COMMUNITY IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CANCER (2009)
- DYNAMIC ACHIEVER AWARD, IN RECOGNITION OF HIS ACHIEVEMENTS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE ASIAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY (2010)
- TRANSFIGURATION EDUCATION ASSOCIATION, IN HONOR OF HIS OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENTS IN FASHION AND CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS (2011)
- ASIA PACIFIC BRANDS FOUNDATION’S BEST BRANDS COUNTRY BRANDING AWARDS, IN RECOGNITION AS MALAYSIA’S FOREMOST FASHION DESIGNER (2011)
- CONFERRED THE TITLE ‘DATUK’ BY YANG DI-PERTUAN AGONG ABDUL HALIM MU’ADZAM SHAH ON JUNE 1ST, 2013
- NAMED ICON OF MALAYSIA BY PRIME MINISTER NAJIB RAZAK (2016)